1. It’s not all rainbows and unicorns…
2. The Business Case Healthcare facilities in the United States generate approximately 14,000 tons of waste per day, most of which is being disposed of in landfills or by incineration. It is estimated that between 20 and 25 percent of that 14,000 tons can be attributed to plastic packaging and plastic products. In addition, 85 percent of the hospital waste generated is non-hazardous, meaning free from patient contact and contamination.
3. Recycling one metric tonne of plastic saves:
- 16.3 barrels of oil
- 30 cubic yards of landfill space
- 5,774 Kwh of energy1, enough to power an average house for 6 months
4. In 2012, 2.8 million tons of plastic waste was recovered for recycling, representing:
- Green House Gas benefit of 3.2MMTCO2E2
- 670,000 cars taken off the road
5. What is HPRC? HPRC is a private, technical coalition of industry peers across healthcare, recycling and waste management industries seeking to improve recyclability of plastic products within healthcare. Vision All healthcare plastics are safely and effectively recycled and widely accepted as a valuable resource.
See the entire presentation at www.slideshare.net.